“The science-fiction writings of Cordwainer Smith consist of some twenty-odd short stories and two novels, which chart the history of an evolving civilisation over some fifteen thousand years. The history is internally consistent, and each story contributes to a coherent picture of the technological, social and spiritual development of the future described.”
Just the titles were so amazing: “Drunkboat,” “Mother Hitton’s Littul Kittons,” “”The Queen of the Afternoon,” “Alpha Ralpha Boulevard,” “Scanners Live In Vain,” “Golden the Ship Was-Oh! Oh! Oh!” The man only published thirty stories or so, but he made them all count.
And then, of course, my favorite story and title, maybe my favorite SF story, ever, the one that begins:
“You already know the end—the immense drama of the Lord Jestocost, seventh of his line, and how the cat-girl C’mell initiated the vast conspiracy. But you do not know the beginning, how the first Lord Jestocost got his name, because of the terror and inspiration which his mother, Lady Goroke, obtained from the famous real-life drama of the dog-girl D’joan. It is even less likely that you know the other story—the one behind D’joan. This story is sometimes mentioned as the matter of the ‘nameless witch,’ which is absurd, because she really had a name. The name was ‘Elaine,’ an ancient and forbidden one.”
stuff and stuff666ties awesome books BTW Califormication cats chaffs comics death design ebooks evonne facebook blows family Finest Kind friends fuck gah hilarious horror kittens life love movies music news pets playlists science fiction She's Not There shimmer short stories stories The Live Lady of Down Town Things I didn't make up for 666ties travel Untitled Bruce Lee/Phil Dick Project video video games w00t work world horror writing WTF yay
Tweets of AwesomeTrigger Warning: I can't be shamed by the likes of you, and I only do macroaggressions.
- RT @_youhadonejob: Don't worry we'll protect your anonymity. http://t.co/3816jFvItN 29 minutes ago
- RT @MinitelResearch: looking at copy of Amiga World from 1988, learning about "going online", and there is a guy, literally, "#tweeting" ht… 37 minutes ago
- @richard_littler "Good effort but needs a new ending, Mr. Lindelof?" 53 minutes ago
- RT @oldhollywood21: Olivia de Havilland in a wardrobe still for The Adventures of Robin Hood #SummerUnderTheStars http://t.co/v2mePf5HOi 57 minutes ago
- You know what's so great about this picture? IT WORKS FOR EVERYTHING AND NEVER GETS OLD. http://t.co/w83KilZXdP 59 minutes ago
August 2015 M T W T F S S « Jun 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31